Academic Success And Professional Development Plan Part 4: Research Analysis
Understanding the work of others is critically important to new work. Contributions to the nursing body of knowledge can happen when you are able to analyze and articulate the efforts of previous research. Research analysis skills are therefore critical tools for your toolbox.
In this Assignment, you will locate relevant existing research. You also will analyze this research using a tool helpful for analysis.
- Reflect on the strategies presented in the Resources this Module’s Learning Resources in support of locating and analyzing research.
- Use the Walden Library to identify and read one peer-reviewed research article focused on a topic in your specialty field that interests you.
- Review the article you selected and reflect on the professional practice use of theories/concepts described by the article.
Using the “Module 4 | Part 4” section of your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template presented in the Resources, conduct an analysis of the elements of the research article you identified. Be sure to include the following:
- Your topic of interest.
- A correctly formatted APA citation of the article you selected, along with link or search details.
- Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts presented in the article.
- Analysis of the article using the “Research Analysis Matrix” section of the template
- Write a 2-paragraph justification stating whether you would recommend this article to inform professional practice.
- Write a 3- to the 4-paragraph summary that you will add to your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan that includes the following:
- Describe your approach to identifying and analyzing peer-reviewed research.
- Identify at least two strategies that you would use that you found to be effective in finding peer-reviewed research.
- Identify at least one resource you intend to use in the future to find peer-reviewed research.
Note: Add your work for this Assignment to the original document you began in the Module 1 Assignment, which was built from the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template
Submit your analysis, including your completed section of the Academic Success and Professional Development Plan Template sections and your matrix and summary.
Week 7 | Part 4: Research Analysis
Purpose paragraph goes here.
|Topic of Interest:||Suicide in Young adults|
|Research Article: Include full citation in APA format, as well as link or search details (such as DOI)||APA formatted citation, including hanging indention.
Christensen, K., Hom, M. A., Stanley, I. H., & Joiner, T. E. (2020). Reasons for living and suicide attempts among young adults with lifetime suicide ideation. Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1027/0227-5910/a000705
|Professional Practice Use:
One or more professional practice uses of the theories/concepts presented in the article
|Professional practice use:
1) Use technology to increase family engagement in patient care.
2) Use the technology as a tool to communicate with patient and their family.
3) Acceptance of the technology for use in the healthcare arena
|Research Analysis Matrix
Add more rows if necessary
|Strengths of the Research||Limitations/ Weaknesses of the Research||Relevancy to Topic of Interest||Notes|
||Focused to only one site so generalization to other settings may be limited.||Current research from 2017, adding to my knowledge of new technologies|
|Research statement clear and concise
||Can make research results harder to analyze as they are impressions, opinions, and views which are not measurable.||Written well, not simplified but professional.||Identified the new technology, nurse’s perceptions, and the effects the technology had on both the patient and their families|
|Sample size, method, and participants||Not measurable in numbers. Usually results are perceptions or attitudes of the participants.||Used focus groups to gather information of nurses’ perceptions on the large scale interactive monitor (LCIM)||Sample size: High for a qualitative study: 55 nurses|
|Focus on a less studied area of nurses and pediatrics.
||Focused on a single site, nursing, and new technology.|
||Able to collect information from the nurses’ that describe their perceptions of the use of the new technology||Qualitative can be either a strength or a weakness.|
||Perceptions, both negative and positive, included in results about the use of the LCIM in the pediatric ICU|
Summary of Analysis
· Write a 2- to 3-paragraph summary that you will add to your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan that includes the following:
· Clearly and accurately describe in detail your approach to identifying and analyzing peer-reviewed research.
· Clearly identify and accurately describe in detail at least two strategies that you would use that you found to be effective in finding peer-reviewed research.
· Provide a complete, detailed, and specific synthesis of at least one resource you intend to use in the future to find peer-reviewed research.
· Integrate at least one outside resource and 2-3 course specific resources to fully support your summary.